LT3 is looking for PhD student to work on the automatic detection of cyberbullying content
Posted by Els Lefever on June 29, 2015
Job title: PhD Student (doctoraatsbursaal)
Department: Department of Translation, Interpreting and Communication, University of Ghent
Master’s Degree in a relevant field (Translation, Interpreting, (Computational) Linguistics, or Computer Science)
We are looking for a highly motivated PhD student for a position at the LT3 Language and Translation Technology Team of the Department of Translation, Interpreting and Communication. The envisaged starting date is September 15th 2015.
The PhD project is part of the IWT SBO-project AMiCA in which several Flemish research institutions are involved. The AMiCA (Automatic Monitoring for Cyberspace Applications) project aims to mine relevant website resources (blogs, chat rooms and social networks), and collect, analyse and integrate large amounts of subjective information using text and image analysis with the ultimate goal of tracing harmful content in an automatic way.
The PhD sub-project focuses one specific aspect, viz. the automatic detection of cyberbullying content in online content.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field: Translation, Interpreting, (Computational) Linguistics, or Computer Science
- Strong interest in language technology and text mining in particular
- Interested in research and having the intention to obtain a PhD degree
- Interested to interact and collaborate closely with industrial partners during the PhD project
- Fluent in English and Dutch
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of programming languages (Java, Python) is an advantage
How to apply
The application (in English) should include
- a motivation letter, summarizing the candidate’s background and capabilities, and describing his/her motivation for this position
- attested copies of education certificates, and a list of master courses with the grades obtained
- curriculum vitae
- contact information (e-mail) of potential referees.
These documents should be sent to email@example.com (cc: Veronique.firstname.lastname@example.org) before August 20th 2015
LT3 Language and Translation Technology Team
Department of Translation, Interpreting and Communication